Pages

06 May 2020

A Letter to my Students


Dear Students,

This week I have been spoiled.  You sent me emails and notes thanking me for being your teacher.  Mr. Trimble got me a gift I love.  The administration at AHS put a sign in my yard telling me how much they love me.  Restaurants and stores are giving me discounts and free coffee (this one is hard to beat, FYI).   But the best gift I have been given is you. 

Most of you know that I was not supposed to be at AHS this year. The Army decided last spring we were moving to North Carolina.  In fact, I had already accepted a job at a school in Raleigh teaching 3rd grade.  We’d found a house and were super excited to be back in North Carolina near our very first Army assignment.  On the way to North Carolina we got a call that we would instead be moving to Maryland, to a tiny little Army post almost on the Delaware line in the city of Aberdeen. 

So I interviewed (again) and was offered a job (again). When I was hired, I immediately thought I had made a mistake.  “I should have stuck to elementary school,” I kept telling myself. “These kids are going to think I am such an old lady.” But then school started, and I met you.  From the very first day, you treated me with kindness.  As we got to know each other you shared your favorite foods, favorite sports teams (sorry, I will never be a Ravens fan) and coffee shops you thought I should try.  We had very serious debates over which is better Wawa or Royal Farms (Wawa, duh) and did our best to get through Algebra together. 

So thank you for being the reason I love my job and love this school.  Thank you for the high fives and hugs in the morning before homeroom.  Thank you for the unsolicited advice about my wardrobe choices ("Mrs. Trimble I see you in your Tommy, but next time maybe pair that with some heels") and your insistence that I never film a TikTok video (“We love you, but please don’t let us catch you trying to be cool on TikTok”).  Thank you for being the best students ever.

No comments: